I decided to make this a new post in case people wanna reblog or w/e. And I’m gonna assume that if you’re already playing BL games, you know all the installation stuff related to them like changing your system language/non-unicode game language to Japanese and using Daemontool to mount images and shit. You’ll HAVE to do that for this, coz it won’t work with Microsoft Applocale or anything like that.
Okay. First it depends on which game you’re playing. If you’re playing a newer game, it’s a lot easier to do this. The only BL games I KNOW this technique works for are DMMd and Omerta.
FOR DMMD AND OMERTA: you definitely need two programs. One is called Interactive Text Hooker (ITH). The second is called Translation Aggregator (TA). You can also download the Atlas trial and the Atlas crack to make it a not-trial, lol. If you use Atlas, I also highly recommend downloading this Atlas user dictionary to make its translations not-so-crap. You can also DL Mecab and Jparser, but I can’t help with them coz I don’t use them.
If you want to use Atlas, follow these steps:
- Download and install the trial version.
- Before you open it, go to where you installed Atlas (i.e.: my Atlas is installed to C drive, program files, Atlas V14… you get what I’m saying? OTL) and download the crack I linked. Extract the crack files and stick ‘em in the Atlas folder. If it asks you to rewrite a file or whatever, do it.
- Atlas now think it’s a full version, yay.
- If you decided to download the user dictionary I recommended, extract the .rar file it was contained in. You should get a .mrg file. Open Atlas, open the Tool menu, go to Management Menu, and then go to Merge Dictionary Data. Drag and drop the .mrg file into this window, then click Add (up the top). Once it’s done, click Add Words (down the bottom) and you’re done.
OKAY! Once all that’s done, download and extract ITH and TA. Stick ‘em somewhere safe, where you won’t lose the files. I will try to do a picture guide from here on lmao. I’m doing it for DMMd coz I don’t have Omerta installed~
- Open DMMd/Omerta and ITH.
- Click Process on the ITH window.
- You’ll get the process mangament window. You’re looking for the DMMd process in the list. I’m going to assume you pirated like I did, so here’s what you’re looking for:
- Highlight the process, click Attach.
- If you did it right, you should get something like this:
- Load the DMMd file you want to continue from or start a new game, doesn’t matter. Here’s the slightly annoying part: There should be a drop down menu at the top of ITH.
Ignore the string of bullshit I wrote over; That’s just ITH extracting all the text from my save files coz I opened the save menu and my game’s already set up~
- Go through that list until you find the string/process that has the text on ITH and the text on the screen matching. You might need to click through the text on the game once or twice for ITH to pick up the correct hook, so don’t be worried if you can’t find the right one right away. LIKE SO:
CONGRATS, YOU HAVE ATTACHED ITH CORRECTLY.
- Go to ITH’s Option menu. Make your stuff match this. THE AUTO-COPY TO CLIPBOARD IS LIKE SUPER-IMPORTANT SO DON’T FORGET IT.
You can also auto-suppress repitition if you want but eh it’s not essential.
- Click Save on ITH if you’re just gonna be using ITH for the one game coz I doubt you wanna go through this shit again.
- Okay, now open TA. When it comes to TA, I generally just use Atlas and Google for translation, but you can use others if you want.
- Click Tools. Go to Translate From… and click Japanese, like so:
- Do the same for “Translate To…” and select whatever language you want it to translate to (obviously, lmao).
- Use the Window menu on TA to open up whatever translators you want to use (as I said, I only use Atlas and Google). Make sure the lil computer mouse-looking buttons on TA are clicked, coz then it will auto-copy from the clipboard. Aaaaand if you did all that right… ta-da!
This is a decent translation:
This is a bad one (you’ll be seeing a lot of these when you play Koujaku’s route lmao coz it’s doesn’t understand a fucking thing he says~):
Aaaaaaaaaaaaand that’s how you translate games with ITH and TA!
As for games that aren’t DMMd or Omerta? You have to use Anime Games Text Hooker (AGTH) and that will require an entire other post, coz the way you do it for every game with AGTH is different and it’s